"Here's Baby A"

I remember the ultrasound at 7 weeks when we found out about the twins like it was yesterday.  We went in for the ultrasound just to confirm a heartbeat because I miscarried in June of 2018.  

I went into the ultrasound very nervous.  "Please let there be a heartbeat... please let there be a heartbeat," I thought over and over.  

I drank a ton of water so they could do an abdominal ultrasound.  I had to pee so badly and of course the office was running behind. 

"I'm going to pee my pants," I told Phil.  

"Honey, I'm sure they'll call you back right away. It will be fine." Easy for him to say. He didn't have 40 oz of water in his bladder.  

"Caitlin," a man called my name.  

"Oh, thank God," I got up.  

He walked us back to the room and he put the warm ultrasound goop all over my lower belly and began the scan.  Silence.  Just silence.  He moved the wand over and over.  Still silence.

"Ok, I'm going to have you empty your bladder and then we'll do a transvaginal ultrasound." 

My heart sunk.  Something was wrong.  I stared at Phil and he gave me a reassuring look. 

The man walked out of the room and I went to the attached bathroom and peed.  Tears welled up in my eyes.  Not again.  

I walked out of the bathroom and took off my pants and underwear.  I got back onto the table and covered myself up.

A few moments later, the man knocked on the door.  "Come in."

The man entered the room with an older lady.  

"Caitlin, _________ (he told me her name, but I forgot) is here so that I can do the transvaginal ultrasound." 

"Ok," I said.

We started the scan.  I couldn't see the screen.  The man just kept looking at the screen with a perplexed look on his face.

"Well, I'm just going to show you what I see since I think your husband can see what I'm looking at," he turned the screen.

"Here's Baby A..." he said. 

"What? Why did he attach a letter to the word 'baby'?" I thought.

"and here's Baby B."

"WHAT?" I said.

"You're having twins!"

"Oh f***," Phil said.

We looked at each other and laughed.  Then I started to cry.

"Are those happy tears?" The ultrasound tech asked.

"I don't know," I laughed.

"Congratulations!" The older woman exclaimed.  I had forgotten she was there.

"It's DCDA twins.  You'll want to google that. I think those are fraternal twins."   

That was the biggest news of our lives. There was not just one baby- there were two!!! I was carrying twins!! 

We walked out of the office and I just felt a whirlwind of emotions.  Phil looked panicked, but also happy.  

I felt scared, I felt unsure, but mostly I just felt incredibly thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts