Mom Shaming

Be an advocate for your family. It was not smooth sailing for me to be a mom. No, it was not the most difficult road by any means. I miscarried in June of 2018 when I was 8 weeks old pregnant. I got pregnant with Elle and Arlo in August of 2018. Anyone who has gone through a twin pregnancy knows it is stressful, it is uncomfortable, it is beautiful, and it is scary. Labs, labs, labs, appointments, a possibly botched genetic test, longer-than-comfortable silence during ultrasounds, crying in the bathtub because your body hurts everywhere.
I feel like it’s fair to say that I worked very hard for my kids.
I should also share with you that I have always been a germaphobe. Not the fun kind that likes to joke about not sharing drinks, but the kind that washes her hands to the point of cracking hands and anxiety.
When my kids were first born, I had panic attacks when people would kiss them (especially after asking people to not) because I envisioned both babies having to go to the hospital. “Relax! This is a natural urge,” “They’re fine!” Family members laughed at me and told me to calm down.
I subscribe to more “attachment style parenting” and I believe that comforting your kids when they’re uneasy leads to secure children. You don’t have to agree with this parenting style, but it’s my choice for my kids. A family member made me feel like by taking back my crying baby, I had committed the worst offense on the planet. I was a moron for not accepting all of her advice since she had experience in being a mother for “20 years.” She told me she knows how to comfort babies and had held hundreds of babies. She said I was stripping away her bonding experience with Elle and Arlo.
If you are a parent and see your baby crying in the arms of someone else, I think it’s natural to take your baby back so he/she stops crying and feels secure.
I was gaslighted. I was made to feel like I was overreacting by trying to protect my kids.
When this pandemic hit and we decided to be strict with social distancing, I knew it would offend people. We did not create this pandemic nor do we makes the rules. Coronavirus isn’t a joke and I don’t think I should apologize for trying to protect my kids.

Comments

Popular Posts